Alexandria Apartment Search Tips
Alexandria Apartment Hunting Tips
Before You Set Out:
During the Search:
- Make a shopping list. Are you looking for hardwood floors, dishwasher, washer/dryer, fireplace etc.? You may not find everything but it doesn't hurt to set priorities.
- Be prepared! Collect some information to present to landlords/leasing agents - they'll probably ask for it, anyway. This should include:
- Credit check.
- Pay stubs/tax returns.
- Cover the bases. Many Alexandria landlords will want to verify your references. Phone ahead to alert possible references, including your former landlord, that they may receive a call.
After You've Found It:
- Try to see the units in the daytime. You'll want to know how much natural light an apartment gets. It's helpful to see what shape the place is in and whether more work is needed to make it habitable.
- Do a careful walk-through of any unit you're serious about. The best time to ask about repairs and improvements is before you commit. Attach a list of any damage to the lease, and have it initialed by your landlord so you're not held responsible later.
- Some questions to ask:
How's the water pressure?
How many electrical outlets and where are they placed?
How big is the water heater?
Is there enough closet space or will you need extra storage?
- Meet the neighbors! Will you live above or below someone; do you share walls? Knock on doors and introduce yourself. Find out if neighbors are friendly, how they feel about noise, what they like about the neighborhood.
- Take measurements of your larger furnishings (and take along a tape measure) to see how your things will fit...or what things you'll need to buy.
- Visit as many places as you can, so you'll have a good idea of what your money buys. Use our Apartment Checklist as a guide to inspecting and comparing choices. Then be prepared to ACT QUICKLY when you find something you like!
- Read your lease thoroughly and make sure you understand it. Don't be afraid to ask! For example:
- What utilities are you responsible for?
- Are pets allowed?
- How is the television reception? Will you need cable?
- Is there reference to existing wear or damage or a penalty for breaking the lease?
Searching for apartments in Alexandria can be a trying and time consuming adventure. Be sure to get prepared a head of time. This will make your apartment hunting experience less painful.